SCEFL Premier Division

Beckenham Town 3-3 Chatham Town

Wednesday 3rd April

Just four days after our heavy defeat at Fisher we welcomed our Kent Senior Trophy final opponents Chatham Town for a league clash. Both sides were looking to build momentum and potentially a psychological advantage going into the final by winning this game.

The visitors struck early through Michael Hagan’s right footed shot from outside the box which curled into the near post after just two minutes. Chatham thought they had doubled their lead after a free kick from the right side was headed in, however the goal was disallowed for a foul.

It took twenty minutes for Becks to level the score as a free kick was whipped in low to Luis Medina at the front of the pack who controlled and squeezed the ball between the goalkeeper and his near post. We had a penalty appeal waved away by the referee and soon after the visitors were back in front, a short throw in from the halfway line was quickly knocked over the top of the defence with Matt Bodkin winning the race and calmly clipping the ball into the far post with the outside of his boot with just over five minutes left in the half.

Matt Bodkin doubled his tally with a similar goal in the second half, he ran away from the defence once again and slotted the ball into the far corner to give Chatham a two goal cushion after 67 minutes. For the home side however, this sparked a reaction and just five minutes later Carlos Urquiza had gotten a goal back after placing the ball into the bottom near post following a lay off from the loose ball. Becks searched for an equaliser and thought they had it from Luis Medina’s looping header which just lacked the power to beat the goalkeeper.

In the 89th minute the pressure paid off and we did finally get the equaliser thanks to some good fortune. Stefan Cox whipped the ball in from the corner of the box and it missed everyone on its way to nestling in the corner of the goal.

The game finished honours even and certainly acted as a great advertisement for the upcoming cup final between the two sides. In terms of the league we remained fifth while Chatham stayed fourth all but ending their title hopes.

Match Report by Scott Bulmer