Becks Beaten On Penalties

Match Report by Scott Bulmer



FA Vase First Round Replay

Wednesday 16th October

After the first round clash at Chatham on Saturday ended 1-1 after 120 minutes, the two titans did it all again just 4 days later under the EPA floodlights.

Ashley Carew’s penalty gave Becks the advantage in the tie after 35 minutes of a half that was a tight affair with both sides limiting the other to only a few half chances.

It didn’t stay that way for long however as a corner from the right popped out to Paul Vines who kept his composure and sent the ball in through the crowded box and past an unsighted Michael McEntegart. The lead only lasted three minutes.

A bad couple of tackles in quick succession led to a reaction from a crowd of players from both teams late in the first half. Stefan Cox was lucky to come away with just a caution within the melee.

The teams went into the break all square at 1-1 with temperatures rising. The second half was much of the same with tackles flying in (even literally) on a couple of occasions.

The Chats went down to 10 men after the attacker slid into McEntegart’s head unnecessarily as he came out to collect the ball over the top. The referee showed a second yellow for his actions and seemingly handed Becks a big advantage going into the latter stages of the tie.

Becks pressured the Chatham defence late on but couldn’t get the goal to take us through to the next round

With the sides still level the game went to extra time with Becks looking the more likely to get the go ahead goal.

The breakthrough finally came in the 103rd minute. Damian Ramsamy’s pass inside for Malik Nosike’s shot from the right cannoned off the near post and fortunately pinged across an empty goal for Shameek Farrell to slide in and meet the rebound to put us in the driving seat.

Becks were seeing out the game well holding it when necessary and looking to get forward when the opportunities arose. Chatham got their equaliser with just 2 minutes of extra time left to play and it could have been different as Stefan Cox chose to hold the ball in the corner instead of rolling the ball across for a brilliant chance at extending the lead.

Instead possession was lost, Chatham went up the other end and after a few passes around the box Jack Evans sent the ball flying into the top far corner and got his side an equaliser to send the game to penalties.


Asley Carew sends the ball into the left side netting. 1-1
Bertie Valler squeezed it under the keeper diving to his left. 2-2
Malik Nosike sends the keeper the wrong way and places the ball in the right. 3-3
Archie Johnson put it left with just enough power to pass through the keeper’s hands. 4-4
Shameek Farrell tucked it away to the right with a bit of swagger and a smile afterwards. 5-5
Harvey Brand scored to make it twelve penalties scored without a miss. 6-6
Then Chatham goalkeeper Jordan Carey stepped up and sent his pen into the top right corner. He then saves the very next penalty from Damian Ramsamy to send his side through to a second round meeting with Bearsted. 6-7

No trip to Wembley this year for Becks but we go again away to Lydd Town in the Kent Senior Trophy before visiting Canterbury and hosting Lordswood in the league as we look to strengthen our position at the top.