Initial Match Report Mark Doig

Wednesday 30th September

Sea Pioneer SCEFL Premier Division



Townsend 48, 62

Pink 59

Phoenix Sports Club

Attendance: 72

BECKS LINEUP: McEntegart, Hanifan, Henry, Robertson; Brand (c) (Humpries), Kaffo (Johnson), Martins (Valler), Brown; Pink, Nwoko, Townsend
Unused Subs: Carter, Aderonmu

Three goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half secured all three points for Becks on a rainy Wednesday night away at bottom of the table Tower Hamlets. 

In the first half, the hosts, who ground share at Phoenix Sports, matched Beckenham, but the visitors’ blitz after the break finished the game as a contest.

Returning from injury, wide forward Steve Townsend had the first attempt on goal for the visitors but his shot was well saved by Jamie Chebesi. Deese Kasinga then had a shot deflected wide at the other end. The hosts’ Kayne James-Thompson fired well over before Becks combative midfielder Billy Martins picked out Callum Henry from a free-kick, but the athletic central defender (returning after being left out against Bearsted the previous weekend) could only head over.

Central striker Joe Nwoku was next to miss the target, when he also headed over, this time from a Jamie Brown cross. The hosts then came close when Sakariya Hassan’s shot was deflected wide. The resultant corner was half-cleared but when it was returned into the area, Becks’s goalkeeper Michael McEntegart mishandled and Shkelgum Sadiku pounced to tap in – only for his joy to be cut short by an offside flag.

Nwoku then sent Tyrone Pink away down the right and he held it up well before pulling back but Nwoku fired over. Martins then did likewise from a free-kick. Bruno Gomes had a good chance for Tower Hamlets but headed Bleron Ademi’s cross wide before Beckenham came even closer when Junior Kaffo’s shot appeared to clip the post. On the stroke of half-time, Martins was stretchered off and eventually taken to hospital with a serious ankle injury after being caught by a very poor challenge.

Bertie Valler replaced him at the start of the second half as Becks came out on the front foot. Pink shot wide before the stalemate was broken. Having initially won it, Townsend picked himself up before picking his spot, striking a low free-kick from the left-hand side of the area inside the far post.

Chebesi then made an outstanding save from Nwoku before skipper Harvey Brand met Valler’s excellent free-kick with a towering header that came back off the post. It came as no surprise when Beckenham scored again, Pink taking down a long through ball with an exceptional first touch that took him into the area before a neat finishing. Two minutes later, Townsend scored his second and Beckenham’s third applying an excellent first-time finish to a ball across the area that Pink had dummied.

Hassan then created a chance at the other end with a brilliant piece of skill only to see Kasinga waste it by firing over, before Brown came close for Becks with a fierce shot into the side netting.

Nwoku thought he had added a fourth when following up after Chebesi had beaten out Brand’s shot but he was flagged for offside. Becks were forced to finish with ten men when their final substitute, Jamie Humpries, fell victim to a robust challenge and was forced to limp off.