Kent Senior Trophy Quarter Final

Saturday 25th January

Becks booked a spot in this years Kent Senior Trophy semi-finals after sweeping aside Glebe 6-2 thanks to a sublime hat-trick and man of the match performance from young forward Malik Nosike.

With skipper Ashley Carew ruled out for the foreseeable future through injury and Junior Kaffo still suspended, Becks surprisingly started with forwards Stefan Cox, Shameek Farrell and Steve Townsend all on the bench. Boss Jason Huntley’s decision to also leave defender Kiki Oshilaja out of the starting lineup saw recent signing Joe Bannan pushed back into central defence with Rob Carter moved out to RB. In midfield, captain Luke Rooney and Harvey Brand were joined in midfield by youngsters Bertie Valler and Billy Martins with Nosike and Ryan Hall leading the attack.

In a breathless opening thirty minutes, Glebe struck first. Hesitancy in Becks defence allowing Jordan Johnson to steal in at the back post and steer a low header in for a 7th minute lead. It lasted just two minutes. Relishing his opportunity, Nosike, ever positive, wriggled his way into the Glebe area, somehow retaining possession before teasing in an inviting cross that Brand rose to crash in with his head via the underside of the bar.

Four minutes later Becks led. Glebe keeper Pat Ohman saved well but with the home defenders appealing for offside the ball fell to the unmarked Hall who smashed it in off post and bar from six yards out. Just two minutes later, Glebe levelled. Under pressure and facing his own goal Rooney chose not to clear his lines, instead attempting to play back to Michael McEntegart. But the pass asked too much of the keeper whose harried clearance fell kindly to Glebe’s Vance Bola and with the goal at his mercy, he made no mistake.

Six minutes later, Beck’s retook the lead – Hall bagging his second from a corner when he glanced a header in from under the keepers nose. Nosike was then thwarted by Ohman when put clean through down the middle and Johnson had a rasping 20 yard effort for Glebe.

After 31 mins, Becks pulled two goals clear. Nosike, by now toying with the Glebe defence almost every time he received the ball, dribbled into the area once again, shaped to shoot, before switching and rifling a low shot into the opposite corner for a great solo goal.

Despite a booking for captain Rooney after he mistimed an aerial challenge and caught his opponent, just before the half-time whistle, by halftime, Becks were in control and clearly growing in confidence. So much so, that the restart saw Hall attempt to complete his hattrick by ambitiously shooting from halfway.

Matt Parsons screamed an effort over for Glebe and Billy Martins was booked for a cynical trip as the hosts looked to break but on 52 mins the move of the match effectively killed the tie. Rooney picked the ball up in his own half and released an intelligent ball to the right that was flicked on to Bertie Valler. Racing clear, the talented youngster showed selflessness in opting not to shoot, instead pulling the ball back for Nosike to sidestep the keeper before making it 5-2 with a cool, clinical finish.

Glebe’s last hope came and went just three minutes later. Toby Ajala’s blasted shot was blocked at point blank range by two Becks defenders and the referee opted to award a spot kick for handball. Leading scorer Jamie Philpot stepped up but his effort hit the right hand post and cannoned back out to safety. Justice seemingly done.

Martins then almost caught out Ohman when he tried his luck from 30 yards, whilst Jesse Darko shot over for Glebe but just after the hour mark, Nosike completed his hat trick. Released by a long ball he rounded Ohman with ease before virtually walking the ball in.

6-2 ahead, Rooney made way for Jamie Brown, before Nosike exited to a well deserved round of applause to be replaced by Steve Townsend. Becks third and final sub came with 15 mins to go when Oshilaja replaced Martins in midfield.

Glebe enjoyed more possession and a couple of corners in the final minutes but in truth the game was over with Becks content to knock it about and look to counter whenever possible.

At the start, the healthy contingent of travelling Beck’s fans may have wondered just where the goals might be coming from in what looked like a defensive lineup. They needn’t have worried. Six goals and a semi-final against Corinthian booked and in young Nosike, the Reds may have just found a timely piece to the promotion jigsaw.