By BTFC Media Team


Sat 14th August 2021



A four-goal fifteen-minute blitz secured all three points as Becks hit the road in the league for the first time this season. Tyrone Pink scored the first and last – making it three in two starts since returning from injury – and there were also goals for last season’s leading scorer Tunde Aderonmu summer signing Dennis Doci. More on that one later.

Before kickoff, the big news was that skipper Danny Waldren had not managed to shrug off a nagging neck strain. A late lineup change shortly before kickoff saw experienced Nick Curran drafted in for his first start of the campaign.

A new destination, the late pull out and a Farnham side encouraged by a goalless home draw against Guildford City in midweek made for a slightly nervy start. But with centre-back pairing Rob Carter and Callum Henry winning everyting in the air, it was Becks who started to dominate. Fifteen minutes in, left-winger Steve Townsend had a shot saved. A minute later Pink dragged a shot wide from just outside the area.

After twenty minutes the game burst into life. Farnham left-back Jack Mitchell got around the back and whipped in a dangerous cross. The header appeared goalbound but Henry – imperious as captain for the day – was there to clear off the line. Within a minute, the action was at the other end, at least it would have been if Tom O’Connor bursting through on goal hadn’t been cynically hauled back by the last defender. It looked inside the area. It looked a certain red card. Instead the referee awarded a free-kick and somewhat scandalously failed to produce even a yellow.

The decision – or rather lock of – clearly riled Becks. Tunde’s free kick was blocked but moments later Doci went close. Appearing on the right hand side of the box, he controlled with his first touch, spun with his second and with the ball still to touch the ground and with two Farnham defenders already left trailing, he flashed a volley just wide of the far post. A moment of impudent skill that deserved a goal.

Becks were now hitting their stride. Townsend, Pink and Doci were becoming increasingly whilst the skilful O’Connor zipped another shot in from the left. On 29 minutes, the goal came. Archie Johnson got forward and his cross fell to Tyrone who finished at the second attempt. Within two minutes the lead had doubled. Doci cleverly stole possession in an advanced area and quickly released Townsend who rounded the keeper before selflessly teeing up Tunde to slam home from close-range.

The visitors were purring now. Both RB Bertie Valler and LB Johnson offering additional options in attack – the former’s clever crossfield delivery being fired narrowly over by Townsend with a speculative first-time volley as he raced on to it. Some goal that would have been.

Meanwhile Curran was playing efficiently well as the screening midfielder. Clear and consistent in his communication, precise in his passing and not averse to putting the tackles in where necessary, the veteran deserves a lot of credit for stepping up and performing so well at such short notice.

But it was Doci who suddenly stole the show. Having been instrumental in the build-up to the second, he now took centre stage. Receiving a short pass from a free-kick, thirty or so yards out and slightly to the left of the area, his first touch moved the ball out of his feet nicely. He took a quick glance-up – just to train his sights – before unleashing an absolute thunderbolt that flew into the top corner past the flailing fully outstretched arms of Farnham keeper Richard Ossai. An early contender for Goal of the Season.

That had come in the 41st minute and Tunde almost made it 4-0 just a minute later – Ossai saving well after the striker had broken through to shoot. A minute before half-time Pink scored again. A good move saw Becks string a number of passes together moving the ball first to the right then back out to the left. When the overload came it was O’Connor who slipped in Townsend. A good effort was blocked by Ossai but the ball fell kindly to Tyrone in front of goal who finished well from close range.

At half-time, the hosts were reeling from the onslaught of the preceding fifteen minutes. But to their credit came out and battled for a goalless second period. In the first few minutes after the break, the goals had threatened to keep coming. Both Townsend and Archie firing in shots before Tunde rattled an upright from distance. But when the fifth goal failed to arrive, the momentum inevitably started to wane.

Game already won Stefan Cox replaced Pink. Jamie Humphris came on for Townsend and Junior Kaffo took over from Curran in midfield before Demi Badi took over from Johnson at left-back. O’Connor – chirruping with opposition players throughhout – picked up a needless booking when he lunged into a tackle he didn’t need to. But it was Cox who had the best of the late chances – blazing over after racing through, seeing a powerfully struck free-kick parried away before clipping over at the death when squaring to the unmarked Humphris or O’Connor for a certain goal looked the much better option.

MOTM: Callum Henry – stepped up as a leader as acting skipper, a calm, imperious presence at the back.

Becks Lineup

Blue; Valler, Johnson (Badi), Carter, Henry; Curran (Kaffo), Doci, O’Connor; Pink (Cox), Aderonmu, Townsend (Humphris)

Booked: O’Connor