Fleet Town 0 – 2 BECKENHAM TOWN



Steve Townsend and Shameek Farrell both scored as Becks returned from a tricky away day in Hampshire with all three points.

After an impeccably observed minute’s silence to mark Remembrance, it was the hosts who started more brightly – Sam Williams firing an early free-kick just wide before left-back James Dinsdale forced a corner. 

At the other end tall Beckenham striker Alfie Bloomfield shot wide after skipper Danny Waldren seized on a loose clearance before Bloomfield then headed over after Farrell and Townsend had combined well in switching the ball from one flank to the other. 

The Reds were beginning to settle, Farrell whipping in a dangerous cross moments before Becks’ best move of the half. Townsend was involved, but it was Waldren who slipped in overlapping RB Bertie Valler. His cross from inside the area found Nick Curran near the penalty spot, but a momentary hesitation was enough to see him crowded out. 

Back came Fleet, Dinsdale launching a pot shot from distance after picking up an uncharacteristically poor clearance from Mudi Wanogho before Fareed Hakem-Habeeb won a free-kick in a dangerous area only to see it wasted as it was fired straight into the wall. 

On 33 mins Becks got a lucky break to snatch the lead. Valler’s throw-in deep inside Fleet’s half was worked back to Farrell who then flighted a ball into the box from the right. Goalkeeper Dan Bone came to collect but under pressure muffed his take and the ball fell beyond him to the lurking Townsend who had the simple task of prodding into an unguarded net from just eight yards out. 

Becks went in search of a quick second seeing a header well saved before Curran mishit an effort into the keepers arms just before half-time. But Fleet were fighting hard, winning a free-kick near the corner flag that centre-half Rob Carter did well to head away before Hakem-Habeeb scooped up the loose ball only to blaze over from the edge of the area.

After the break, Fleet revealed a new weapon – RB Shemar Pettett’s huge throw-ins causing Becks plenty of concern at the back, but it was the visitors who looked more likely. Twisting, turning, teasing, it was Townsend who was often involved and having come on for Curran, energetic teenager Freddie Nyhus was presenting Fleet’s defenders with a different set of problems. 

With 20 mins left a good move involving both Nyhus and Townsend saw Waldren’s goalbound header at the back post brilliantly clawed away before sub Jerry Amoo surged into the area, tumbling to the ground and seeing his penalty appeal waved away. 

Fleet responded well and Becks endured a series of corners, almost conceded an own goal before seeing the crossbar come to their rescue on another occasion. On 76 mins Ellis McLean broke away and having run half the pitch was bearing down on Mason Whitnell’s goal only for LB Archie Johnson to recover and block for yet another Blues corner. 

But having survived the onslaught, Joe Healy – the silk to Waldren’s steel – suddenly came into his element, setting the tempo and pulling the strings in midfield as Becks controlled possession intelligently. 

With six minutes left the hosts final hopes were dimmed when they were reduced to ten men after Dinsdale – so lively throughout – talked himself into a needless sin-bin. 

And then deep into stoppage time a long clearance saw Farrell break clear of the last defender, toe the ball past the onrushing Bone – whose dangerously cynical attempt to bring him down, Farrell survived – before sealing the win with a neat bending finish from a tight angle out wide on the left.

Man of the Match: Joe Healy

Attendance: 125

Whitnell; Valler, Johnson, Wanogho, Carter; Curran (Nyhus 58), Waldren (c), Healy; Farrell, Bloomfield (Amoo 69), Townsend

WORDS: BTFC Media Team

PHOTO: Andrew Collins Photography