Match Report by Scott Bulmer


FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Wednesday 2nd September

Mile Oak Recreation Ground

Attendance: 285

Goals from Steve Townsend, Ryan Hall, Junior Kaffo and Harvey Brand saw a well organised Becks side knockout step 6 Mile Oak in a convincing performance to set up a collision with Tunbridge Wells in the next round.

Mile Oak Line-up:

Aaron Stenning, Lee Early, Franklin Bendu [Harvey Dunk], Zak Haulkham (C), Joe Hall, Michael Gould, Jack Whitmore, Louis Foster [Jack Marriott], Alex Fair [Jack Stenning], Conor Martin, Craig Stevens Unused Subs: Matt Thompson, Bako Xhemal, Jay Carse, Jack Phillips

Becks Line-up:

Michael McEntegart, Jamie Brown, Archie Johnson, Rob Carter, Callum Henry, Junior Kaffo, Stefan Cox [Tyrone Pink], Bertie Valler [Tunde Aderonmu], Ryan Hall, Harvey Brand (C), Steve Townsend [Jamie Humphris] Unused Subs: Ike Robertson, Tom Medita, Phil Wilson

Just five weeks after the conclusion to last season’s FA Cup, the magic returns to its spiritual home of non-league football where teams dream of Wembley, drawing a big team, and more realistically just to be able to say they made it to the first round proper. The prize money that comes with advancing through the rounds can have a huge impact on teams like us. With all that in our minds we set off to face Mile Oak of the Southern Combination League Division 1 to see who would advance in this prestigious competition.

The first piece of action came on the sidelines as a wasps nest was disturbed by some fans and everyone nearby dispersed. Becks took the lead on the twenty-minute mark after a cut back from the left by Archie Johnson was sent goalwards by Steve Townsend on the edge of the box. The shot deflected off of Louis Foster, wrong-footing Aaron Stenning in goal. Fifteen minutes later Ryan Hall scored a penalty to double our lead despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to it. The goal put us firmly in the driving seat heading into halftime.

A left-sided Bertie Valler corner was headed in by Junior Kaffo soon after the restart to end any hopes of a comeback for the home side. With sixteen minutes left on the clock, Becks drew their opposition on and counter attacked with precision as captain Harvey Brand wrapped up proceedings with a fourth assisted by Archie Johnson’s cut back from the byline. To their credit Mile Oak battled till the very end as they searched for a late consolation goal but they couldn’t find one as the Becks defence have their first clean sheet of the new season.

In our next game, we kick off the SCEFL Premier Division season away to Deal Town on Saturday before hosting a local derby with Glebe on Tuesday. Saturday 12th is the next round of the FA Cup away to old foes Tunbridge Wells. We then travel to Erith & Belvedere after that before hosting Littlehampton in the First Qualifying Round of the FA Vase on Saturday 19th.